Friday, March 20, 2009

Q: What are you doing? A: Blogging

I’m facebook friends with Aziz Ansari (I assure you, I’m not bragging). He’s one third of the comedy troupe “Human Giant,” plus he’s a co-star on that new show with Amy Poehler. It’s on that network with the newer, better Conan.

But I digress. Aziz is pretty funny. He posts some ill shit on his blog. But every time I log-on to facebook (which is frequently), he’s got a new status update courtesy of Twitter. I can’t avoid what Aziz is doing or what he’s thinking about. Not a huge problem, and then I noticed that non-celebrities (ie: real friends) had Twitter accounts. I guess I’ve lost the knack for catching on to emerging trends and now I’m finally ready to accept its ubiquity.

I honestly thought it was a small thing, with the occasional Kanye West user texting his ‘twattings.’ But it’s more than a celebrity or two using it; if a musician is on there, perhaps his/her record label is too; a sitcom star has to compete with a user that consistently churns out clever headlines. And it really hits you when a friend has an account. The service suddenly seems more stable than the constant flux of viral videos or other forms of internet ephemera.

I know it seems silly to blog about Twitter, especially if your condemning it. And yes, by acknowledging that, it gets even more annoying and reflexive. But the typing and tapping of words, excitement and vitriol, even if it all seems to disappear into the ether, can have meaning. At least in a blog, you’re not restricted to 140 characters. And not everything in blogs are profound--in fact, most things aren’t--but at least blogger’s can delude themselves by thinking that they’re capable of proffering these profundities. You’ve gotta have some terse prose to have a transcendent Twit. And some people could do that shit before Twitter came along.

If people barely give a shit if I (attempt to) do something that has creative value, then nobody will give a fuck if I eat a banana.

No comments:

Post a Comment